Witold Maliszewski (1873-1939) was a Polish composer, first Rector and founder of Odessa Conservatory and professor at Warsaw Conservatory. Studied with Ippolitov-Ivanov in Tbilisi, then with Glazunov and Rimsky-Korsakov at the St Petersburg Conservatoire (1898-1902). From 1908 he taught at the Odessa Music School, which was to become the Odessa Conservatoire in 1913. He remained its director until 1921, when he then settled in Warsaw. Maliszewski became the founder of the Chopin Institute (1933) and taught at the Chopin School from 1925-27, and the Warsaw Conservatoire from 1931 to 1939. Among his many students were Davidenko, Lutoslawski, Radchenko, Rakhlis, Steinberg and Vilinsky. Maliszewski ‘searly compositions reflect the influence of his Russian teachers, whereas his later works show an interest in Polish folk music.
There are no reviews yet.